Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Review: Shiseido SPF 50 for Face and Body

It's summer break and I'm not taking any summer classes. Yay. Well, not really yay because I wanted to get that damn class over with. Unfortunately they're not offering that class during this summer. So I'm just bummin around...


Anyway, I used the Shiseido SPF 50 for Face and Body for about 3 months (that's how long the 100mL bottle lasted for me). I bought it on sale and saw that it would expire 3 months after I purchased it so I used it as much and as fast as I could. Normally, I would've just used this for my face because it is pricey (broke college student status), but I wanted to use this up before it expired (skin care items expire 2 years after the manufacturing date, right? unless theyre fresh, organic or whatever they expire earlier). So yeah, used this on my face and arms.
This product overall was okay. I wouldn't buy it at normal price (just because at normal price it would be about 10++USD more expensive than the sephora price--everything here is overpriced T.T I'll wait and buy more when I get back to the States or when it goes back on sale here.. haha).

Pros:
  • Very lightweight--doesn't feel heavy nor greasy.
  • Works well in humid weather.
  • Decent value for 100 mL -- as long as it's on sale in my country.
  • Great for oily/combination skin type--helps keep face matte. (not dry, just oiliness is somewhat controlled).
  • Good sun protection factor. The bottle doesn't indicate what percentage of zinc oxide it has which sucks. I think the SPF 55 one has around 13%? Anyway, I felt protected lol.
  • Doesn't streak or give white patches like some sunblocks I've used.
Cons:
  • Would not recommend this for dry skin. My face is combination-acneprone-somewhat sensitive. I put this on my face and it was fine, but when I put this on my neck, it dried the hell out of it. It was really freaking weird. I never experienced anything like that before. EW. That word sums up the skin condition of my neck after using it for a week or so. Anyway, I had to INTENSIVELY moisturize my neck after the damage this sunblock did to it. I stopped using this sunblock on my neck as soon as I saw the damage and slathered on clinque's moisture surge and that helped a lot but then wasn't enough, so after a layer of that I slathered on some organic moisturizer. Twice daily for about 2-3 weeks brought my skin back to normal. Never again. Worked well for my arms though, I had been using the Hawaiian Tropic sunblock on my arms but it felt so sticky and nasty, the Shiseido felt like nothing. It's great--just not on the neck.
  • It's just that--A SUNBLOCK--nothing more. & it doesn't claim to be anything more than that, however, with all the products today that multi-task, I'm looking for something that does more (more more more more...lol *sigh* asking for too much lol hahaha).
All in all, I would repurchase this if it was on sale. I've tried a good number of sunblocks and this one works the best in this humidass country.

Price: roughly 39USD on sale! -- normal price here is roughly 52USD. INSANE, huh? it's listed at sephora for 38usd. Anyway, if you're lucky enough to get it at the normal 38 usd price (w/c i just remembered, wasn't this 36usd before?) it's not a bad deal. As 100mL will last you a good amount of time. Although, never skimp on sunblock.

Product as a sunblock: 4/5 (minus 1 for that nasty dryness it caused my neck) but for face and arms, great.

Overall: Satisfied.

No comments: